The Multisori Language Arts curriculum is focused on creating confident, joyful readers. This subject area does NOT follow the Montessori Scope and Sequence. Instead, it streamlines and lightens the load of teaching small children to read and write.
The Multisori Language Arts curriculum is broken into 3 parts, so that you can customize and focus on the unique ages, stages and needs of your kid(s).
M3 by Multisori's Language Arts curriculum is delivered to you via e-mail as PDF files and must be printed, laminated and trimmed before use.
PART 1: PHONICS (AGES 2-5): Learning Letter Sounds
Multisori's 18-week Phonics Module teaches letter sounds slowly and playfully, using sound games as the primary methodology. Learning in other areas such as movement, art, order, fine motor skills, and gross motor skills are interwoven into the program. The goal of the phonics module is to provide a solid foundation on which children can build their reading journey. The order in which the letters are presented reflect the following principles:
- Continuous, rather than stop, sounds are introduced first. These sounds can easily be said and combined by most children.
- More commonly used letters are introduced first.
- Short vowel "Aa" is introduced during the first week, so that children can immediately being sounding out "a" CVC words in combination with other letter sounds they know.
- New sounds are taught in small steps, consolidating previous sounds.
- Repetition is vital to long term memory of letter sounds, and therefore, review weeks are built into the program regularly.
- Visually similar letter sounds such as "d" and "b" are taught separately to avoid confusion.
Research shows that children learn best through play with integrated movement. Therefore, students work through activities during each week in which new letter sounds are introduced:
- Montessori Inspired Game 1
- Montessori Inspired Game 2
- Kinesthetic Learning
During review weeks, students focus on fine motor skills, including learning to hold a pencil. The picture cards provided with the program use beautiful, full color images to illustrate the letter sounds being taught.
Six picture cards are included for each letter, for a total of 156 picture cards, which are provided on 24 pages. In addition, art worksheets, review activities and complete presentation instructions are included. The program is provided in both print and cursive, so you can use one or both at your discretion.
PART 2: READING (AGES 3-9): Learning to Read
Your homeschooled child can quickly become a strong, confident reader with the Multisori reading program. It provides a comprehensive resource that is:
- Montessori aligned,
- Phonics based,
- Encourages comprehension based on visualization,
- Whole language compliant,
- Aligned with the Dwyer method,
- Streamlined to ensure no unnecessary, boring repetition,
- Ideal for on track & advanced readers,
- Feels like play for your child, AND
- Designed specifically for homeschoolers!
Multisori Reading is straight forward and easy to use. You don't need a teaching certification or background to benefit. Its rainbow levels provide a clean and sequential structure to learning and internalizing the phonetic elements of the English language.
Children start with Level Red and work their way through the rainbow to Level Violet. Along the way, they track their progress using a fun and simple roadmap. Students work through four steps within each level:
- Students attempt to spell the words displayed in the picture cards.
- Students match the word cards to the picture cards.
- Students use the word cards as flashcards to read the words aloud.
- Students read the sentence cards.
The cards use beautiful images to illustrate each word, as well as large print that highlights the phonetic element used in the word. All of the cards are color-coded to match up with each of the 7 rainbow-colored levels. The program is provided in both print and cursive, so you can use one or both at your discretion.
PART 3: WRITING (AGES 4-9): Writing Practice that Reinforces Reading Concepts
For homeschoolers using the Multisori Reading Program, the Multisori Writing Supplement is an easy way to harmonize reading and writing in your homeschool. The Multisori Writing Supplement follows along and integrates seamlessly with the Reading Program. It is a simple way to reinforce the reading concepts being presented while simultaneously helping your child(ren) develop writing skills.
As your child works through the four steps of Multisori reading, the Writing Supplement can be used as a bridge between steps 2 and 3, or as a review tool. The only additional tool your child will need to use the Multisori Writing Supplement is a pencil. The Writing Supplement is provided in both print and cursive, so you can use one or both at your discretion.