What Is The Montessori Sensorial Curriculum?
The Sensorial curriculum is a truly unique component of the Montessori method because it trains kids to view the world with an analytical mindset and to explore using all of their senses. Through the use of multi-sensory learning, this refinement of a child’s senses helps them learn to focus for long periods of time, a quality which we now call "grit." Modern research tells us that a child’s ability to develop grit is the single most reliable predictor of success in life.
What To Keep In Mind When Using These Montessori Sensorial Activities?
According to Montessori philosophy, sensorial impressions actually begin at birth (and possibly sooner!) A child’s first few years of life are the most important years for development as a whole. These Montessori sensorial materials were designed to develop and refine a child’s senses. Through this multi-sensory curriculum, a child learns to become aware of details and is provided materials to learn to discriminate and appreciate said details.
With the introduction of Montessori sensorial materials, children develop their:
- visual sense through careful discrimination based on qualities such as height and width
- tactile sense through the introduction of concepts such as rough and smooth
- olfactory sense by completing such activities as literally stopping to smell the roses on a nature walk
- gustatory sense when helping with food preparation and tasting to see if the right amount of spices has been added
- auditory sense through incorporating music and songs into daily life
Overview of the Montessori Sensorial Program
M3 by Multisori's Sensorial curriculum is self-contained, so you don't need any special Montessori materials or products to use it. Ideas for a handful of useful and affordable products are made where appropriate, and DIY options abound. This program grows as a child develops through the primary years, perfect for ages 3-6. With our Sensorial curriculum, you can quit the overwhelm, easily get started with Montessori at home and set the stage for a lifetime of success.
Young children thrive with hands-on, movement based learning that stimulates all of the senses. That's just one reason why Multisori's Montessori homeschooling curriculum allows you to quit the overwhelm, embark on a joyful journey with Montessori at home, easily create a Montessori way of learning and set the stage for success for a lifetime of success.
M3 by Multisori's Sensorial curriculum is delivered to you via e-mail as PDF files and must be printed before use. Be prepared for a lot of kinesthetic learning fun with this multi-sensory approach!
Like all M3 products, this Montessori sensorial curriculum includes:
- Sensorial materials supply list and instructions for preparing the learning environment
- Hyperlinked curriculum rubric (simplified scope & sequence)
- Straight forward assessment rubric for record keeping
- Easy to understand presentation instructions for each activity
- Eye catching visuals for easy environment prep
It also provides over 100 pages of full color educational materials, including:
- My 5 Senses mini book
- Activities for incorporating music into your daily routine
- Various sets of sorting cards for visual discrimination activities
- DIY color box 1, 2 and 3 printables
- Three sets of matching cards
- Shape connect the dots printables
- 2D and 3D shapes three part cards, great as they progress toward more mathematical concepts
- Constructing shapes activity
- Various linear pattern activities (AB, ABA & ABC)
- Basic mystery bag activities
- Extension mystery bag activities
I was skeptical at first, because the sensorial materials are so big and bulky (and beautiful!). I honestly wondered how this was going to work, but it did! I used mostly things I already had on hand and the included printables. I did buy one of the low price suggestions that worked beautifully! Honestly, this curriculum is worth buying just for the product suggestions (I saved more than the cost of the curriculum on that one item alone). So glad I was able to give my kids the Montessori sensorial experience with M3 by Multisori!
My kids and I love the sensorial curriculum. I really didn't want to buy the pink tower and the knobbed cylinders and, and, and... for just a few lessons and 2 kids. M3 made it possible for my kids to get the benefits of Montessori without the outrageous price tag.